Today I am getting ready to go to Paris--doing laundry, cleaning, etc. I am very content and happy with my life right now. I've realized through many of the events of the past few months how important it is to surround myself with positive people. I no longer have patience (and I'm a pretty patient person) for people who are wishy-washy, negative, and non-committal. Relationships of any kind, in my opinion, are more a matter of choice than emotion. Love is a decision that does not waver through the fickle emotions of the heart nor day to day irritations, but one that requires determination and commitment to endure. ...Just ask my parents, lol. I get a little irritable when I'm tired which was the case on my whirlwind trip to Istanbul. Thank heavens my family understands the concept of unconditional love. We all just "say it like it is" and move on without grudges. That's just the way we are and I love my family for that. There is something beautiful about not having to watch your every word because you know that no matter what you say, the listener knows your true heart and will separate the chaff from the grain and understand that your intentions are not to hurt people you love.
There is a lot I could say about Istanbul, but I'm not one to offer a travel log when one can go online and see everything that I saw. I will say that it was charming, historic and I had an amazing time. It will be easier for you to "see it through my eyes" once I get my pictures up. Unfortunately, I left the cord to my camera in Utah at my parents' home and so I'm unable to put my Istanbul pictures online right now. I know a post without pictures totally sucks, and this is my fourth one in a row. (Thanks for reading anyway!) So instead, I will leave you with one of my favorite "lists."
Ten Rules of Happiness
by President David O. McKay
1. Develop yourself by self-discipline.
2. Joy comes through creation - sorrow through destruction. Every living thing can grow: Use the world wisely to realize soul growth.
3. Do things which are hard to do.
4. Entertain upbuilding thoughts. What you think about when you do not have to think shows what you really are.
5. Do your best this hour, and you will do better the next.
6. Be true to those who trust you.
7. Pray for wisdom, courage, and a kind heart.
8. Give heed to God's messages through inspiration. If self-indulgence, jealousy, avarice, or worry have deadened your response, pray to the Lord to wipe out these impediments.
9. True friends enrich life. If you would have friends, be one.
10. Faith is the foundation of all things - including happiness.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Ten Rules of Happiness
Posted by Patti at 10:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Thanks for the list. And it's so true, one of the best thing about families is that you can have spats and it can easily be overlooked. Good luck in Paris, I can't wait to hear all about it - and please give some sort of travelogue 'cause I want to see it through your eyes.
Post a Comment