CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Training Frenzy

An update on my flight attendant training experience...

Flight attendants ARE NOT pretzel princesses. We are highly trained individuals who can save lives and help avert terrorist plots. I'd tell you all about it but I'm sworn to secrecy. I swear.

I realized I'm a Mama's girl. I miss my mom who has spent the last two weeks in CAI, TLV, and AMM. (I will be speaking in airport codes from here on out so if you need assistance, please visit my new favorite sight at http://www.world-airport-codes.com/.) My dad is also there, but I mostly miss my Mom because I talk to her five times a day. She's had her phone off since she left and I feel so isolated and lonely.

Flying feels safer to me now more than ever. Airplanes are amazing! And so is the in-depth training flight crews receive. You truly should never be worried about flying. I especially feel safe knowing that if there is ever a drunk driver up there, there are always the co-pilots and air traffic controllers to save your butt.

I was corrected for using the word "airplane." It is called an "aircraft." (I think that was just a snobby instructor.)

We visited the Delta airplane, I mean aircraft, hangar where the planes (oh, whatever--she's not going to read this anyway) are serviced. Did you know that the nose of a Boeing 737 can fit inside the engine of the 777? Coooool. Did you know that I can fit inside the engine of a 777 without crouching?

I went on a training flight to ORD. When I walked onto the plane (before boarding started) I thought, "Wow. Welcome to your new office!" How can you beat an office at 30,000 feet?

We spent a Saturday in the pool learning how to do a "ditching" --a water evacuation. There are these ginormous rafts on airplanes that can hold over 60 people. However, getting into them from the water is a joke, especially with the over-inflated life vests they give you. But I think if you were wet and freezing with a sinking airplane and sharks around you, you'd have the adrenaline to figure out a way to get in quickly, so I decided not to sweat it.

I have received 100% on 7 of 10 tests, the other 3 being a 92, 96, and 98... all well above the required 90%. Yes, I am officially a flight attendant brainiac. (Really, it's just 'cause they're multiple choice, but you can be excited for me anyway.)

Today I received my ultra-fashionable uniforms. It was fun to try them on. I felt like the Flight Attendant Barbies that I just bought for my nieces.

But most of all, I am having fun (though missing my fam), excited to move to NYC, and ecstatic about all the fun people and places I will soon get to visit. Jealous? They're still hiring. :) ~p

2 comments:

Em-Cat said...

Patti! I totally forgot about your blog. How are you doing? I'm so excited for your new adventure. You need to call me so we can catch up!
Love ya girlie!
Emily

Shana said...

I love reading your blog Patti. Keep us updated on all the training!