I was tagged several times on Facebook for "25 Random Things About Me." At first, I had a hard time coming up with 25 things. Then, after I finally wrote 25, I kept thinking of more stuff. So I added another 25 to the list. I decided to post my original 25 here as well, and I also added the 25 more I came up with... Probably about 49 more than you really want to know, lol! The last 25 are a bit shorter. Brevity is not my specialty...
1. I worked at Victoria's Secret for about 3 years total. Not only did I become a lotions and potions addict, but I now have a "hope chest" full of hope. I'm just hoping it will all still fit if I ever get the chance to use it.
2. I have had a million jobs, trying to find one I could actually do forever. Sitting at a desk all day makes me think, "If this is what I'm going to do for 75% of my waking day, every day for the rest of my life, I'd rather just die now." I have worked as a supervisor in a call center, a web editor for a scrapbook magazine, and a sales assistant for a title company, to name a few. My favorite jobs have been a waitress, an after-school teacher, and as a teacher for a summer foreign exchange group from Spain. And, of course I totally LOVE my job as a flight attendant.
3. I have always wanted to travel all around the world. Now that I can fly for free, however, the last thing I want to do on my days off is get on a plane and go somewhere to stay in a hotel. Seriously. I just love being home, sleeping in my own bed, and being with my family on my days off. My favorite places I have been are Moscow and Edinburgh, Scotland.
4. I failed my first driver's test because I ran a stop sign. But seriously, it was a three-way intersection and they had *just* added the stop sign a few months earlier. Now I'm an awesome driver and have only caused one accident--I backed into my brother's friend's car after walking right past it in my parent's driveway--I was apparently in a hurry.
5. I have been in a few car accidents caused by others: 1) When I first moved to California, a guy ran a stop sign and side swiped the back end of my new Jetta. It was in the shop for 6 weeks. 2) When I first moved to Colorado, my car was totaled by a drunk driver on my way to work at 8am. 3) It took me a while to buy a new car and 3 weeks after I had my new car, I was rear-ended while completely stopped at a stop-light...on the exact same street as accident #2, but three months later. 4) I slid on ice driving from Utah to Colorado and hit the same (yet-to-be-fixed) bumper that was damaged two months earlier in accident #3, so I didn't have to pay to fix it. (And within two weeks of #4, someone crunched my front bumper in the church parking lot and I found it after the meeting with no sign of who did it! What's up with a hit-n-run while I'm at church?!?) My name is Patti and I have been accident free for 15 months!
6. I was afraid of boys as a teenager. I always thought they thought I was dorky because when I asked a boy to dance at a jr. high dance, he said NO to my face. I only got asked to one guy's-choice dance in high school and I couldn't go because I had to wait until I was 16 to date. So, I didn't kiss a boy until I graduated from high school. And I finally dated my high school crush when I was 20, only to find out that he would've dated me all through high school had he known I liked him. (He said I was mean to him?!?! In HS, that means a girl likes you, duh.) Sigh. Well, at least I got to date him before he met his awesome wife, lol. But it would've been nice to go to a prom or homecoming. I figured I'd just go all out on my own "personal prom" when I get married, but taffeta is sooo out now.
7. I moved in with my sister and her husband 2 years ago. I was living in California and it didn't feel "right"--I was talking to my sister on the phone one day and she had just found out my nephew has Sensory Processing Disorder and she was really stressed because of all of his therapy and the one-on-one time he would need. She jokingly said I should move in with them to help her with her kids. Then we both felt like it would be a win-win so I packed up and moved there. I planned to get a place of my own after a few months, but I really liked living with them, being around my sister, being around my favorite kids in the world, and I loved cooking for them. My sister loved having a live-in babysitter for quick errands while her kids were napping (and because I have no life and spend every weekend hanging with her kids anyway), someone to cook for them (because she hates to), and is still willing to put up with my enormous amount of "stuff," so here I stay, for now.
8. I hate feet. I think they are gross. I have an obsession with keeping my feet nice. I pumice them everyday in the shower and slather on the lotion when I get out. If they feel dirty (from wearing sandals), I HAVE to wash them before I go to bed. I don't get pedicures because I do a better job on my feet than they do so I think it is a waste of time and money. I also hate wearing socks, especially panty hose. To church, it is boots or pumps with no hose in Winter. I go sockless whenever I can, however, I won't walk around barefoot because I hate my feet getting dirty and they are sensitive because I keep them so soft. So I always wear flip-flops (or slippers in Winter) around the house.
9. I always put lotion and baby powder on when I get out of the shower. I can't wash my hands without putting lotion on afterwards. I also can't stand dry lips so I always have lip gloss, usually Vaseline Lip Therapy, sometimes with lipstick. Needless to say, I have incredibly soft skin and lips... it's usually one of the first things a guy notices about me.
10. Along with my lotions and potions obsession, I love perfume and anything that smells fantastic. A guy with good-smelling cologne makes me weak in the knees. I sometimes spray perfume on before I go to bed because I like how it makes me smell. I love lavender and vanilla fabric softener and dryer sheets. I carry room-spray around when I travel (which comes in very handy with those airplane lavatories--ewwww!) and I love plug-ins and yummy candles.
11. I spent about 8 years in college and did NOT become a doctor. I just changed my major a million times. I finally settled on history and got so burned out, that I still haven't finished. (I learned that a history major is not only completely un-useful, but it isn't even fun in the end because instead of actually learning history, you just analyze the h@#& out of it.) I have about 6 classes left to get my bachelor's degree. I did get my AA degree from Snow College. I am proudly the only "Ute" in my family, although I have yet to graduate.
12. I actually really enjoy teaching gospel doctrine and relief society at church. Those are my favorite callings. I even enjoy speaking in church, although I haven't done so in many years. I won a lot of awards in high school and college for "forensics" (speech) and spoke at my high school graduation. (I still have a box of gavels in storage which were the trophies for student congress in high school.) Really, I am just a major rambler and I like a captive audience, lol.
13. I love dogs and would love to get one, but it's too hard with my profession. My dog, Mutsy, died last year and I was a mess about it. I want to get a little white Maltese and name her Mika or Chloe.
14. I am a hopeless romantic. I love chick-flicks, Jane Austen, and I cry when men say sweet things about their wives. I have a lot of respect for guys who are truly committed to a woman. One of the most romantic things that has ever been done for me was when a guy filled my room with red and white balloons and left a red rose on my pillow with a heart-shaped mylar tied to it. The other thing was when a (different) guy bought a shirt I was eyeing (but couldn't afford) while I was in the bathroom at the mall and then surprised me with later that night for no reason.
15. I hate exercise. I like being active. I think that if people in history could see how we go to gyms and all the other "forced" forms of exercise, they would think it was truly bizarre. I do, however, like to do dance videos and a little yoga before bed. I walk a lot at work, too--did you know that from one end of a concourse at the Atlanta Airport to the other end, it is just short of one mile...and I usually have to go from one concourse to another. I do have a goal, however, to train to run a 5k--just 'cause I know it would be good for me.
16. I love children's book and have a very large collection of picture books. I also wrote a children's story but am too scared to submit it to be published.
17. I only read about two books all the way through while I was in high school (The Catcher in the Rye and The Count of Monte Cristo). I usually relied on the Cliff Notes, movies, and extra credit. I have a hard time focusing and staying awake when reading. So I set a goal about 5 years ago to try and read more. The first book I read was Pride and Prejudice and I was hooked on Jane Austen. I also "read" a lot of books on CD while on road trips. I read a lot now... mostly just "chick lit" but I really enjoy it--reading the entire book and everything!
18. Speaking of road trips... I love them! I don't do many anymore because it is easier and cheaper for me to fly. I used to drive between So. Cal and Utah every few months by myself and I really liked it. It is actually annoying now to have someone with me because I like listening to books on CD, just quietly thinking, or turning my car into a moving Karaoke machine. A passenger actually cramps my style now. :)
19. I hate texting. It's OK for some things, but most of time I think it easier to call--especially while I'm driving. I have no problem driving and talking--whether with a passenger or on the phone. Some people can't drive and talk, eat, or do anything else. I know it's supposedly a big safety issue, but personally I think people should be more worried about drunk drivers. Did you know that for every DUI violation issued, a person has already driven an average of 50 times while intoxicated without getting caught? (Sorry for the rabbit trail, but don't get me started on drunk driving.)
20. I vote straight-ticket Republican and I make no apologies for it. I believe the country is run by parties, not people, and I stand behind the "less government" values of the Republican Party. I don't like the government having a hand in every little thing. I think people should be rewarded for hard work and self-reliance and that benefits should not be withheld because someone makes "too much." (Could you imagine being charged differently for a Mcburger based on how much you make?!?!) However, I feel that I am very tolerant of others' right to their beliefs and I enjoy hearing why people believe what they do, as long as they don't expect me to change my beliefs. Ultimately, I think we all want the same thing, we just believe in going about it differently. I also believe that despite how one votes, it is our responsibility to stand behind our leaders once elected.
21. I am such a night owl. I don't do mornings. Someone once said that "if God intended us to see the sunrise, he would've scheduled it later in the day." I think it is because I am a restless sleeper. I walk and talk in my sleep and sometimes still dream when my eyes are open. I also randomly remember dreams I had years ago, even when I didn't remember them when I woke up that day.
22. I LOVE my family and love spending time with them. Even my extended family. I sometimes need a little alone time while on a family vacation, but ultimately, I really enjoy being around them--especially when we play games together.
23. My eighth-great grandfather on my maternal grandfather's side was King John of England (son of Richard the Lionhearted.) So technically, I AM a princess. Really. Know any princes?
24. I love movies. I go to movies by myself all the time because it is easier than arranging it with a friend, having to compromise on the movie, and having to share my popcorn. I used to love movie theater popcorn, but one time I put waaaaay too much butter on it (they had a do-it-yourself butter pump--bad idea!) and I threw up later that night. So now I just get a little popcorn, easy on the butter.
25. I love Diet Dr. Pepper, but I'm trying to quit. It doesn't help that I carry a 12-pack around in the trunk of my car.
26. I’m still friends with most of my “exes.” I even have dreams about one of them all the time. Weird, huh?
27. My favorite dessert is the Lemoncello Torte from Cheesecake Factory. I have tried almost everything on their menu (I waitressed there) and it is the best!
28. I love my car. It is a total “mom” car but I feel safe in it and it has all the bells and whistles. It is a 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx.
29. I like doing laundry except I never fold anything but my socks and towels. (Maybe that's why I don't mind it.)
30. I used to have to hang-dry all my jeans and stretch them while wet to make sure they were long enough. I have a 35-inch inseam! (Most “longs” are 34-inch.) I finally found a brand of jeans I like that are long enough and I was so excited that I could just throw them in the dryer and be done with them.
31. I hate routine. It bores me to do the same thing over and over. That’s why I like my job so much—it is always different.
32. I love to cook. I like trying to replicate something yummy I had at a restaurant by Google-ing several versions of a recipe and then figuring out my own version. I’m not very good at following the exact items of a recipe. I cook by taste.
33. And speaking of Google, I Google every one and every thing. …I have an inquiring mind and I like to research stuff.
34. I dated a guy with a criminal record. It was “in his past” and he was a great guy, but he ended up being a little flaky.
35. I was engaged once (not to the guy in #34) for 2 whole weeks. He’s the guy I still have random dreams about.
36. And speaking of the ex-fiancé, I sort of helped him build his house and I found that I really enjoy construction (except sanding and puttying.) If I were a guy, I probably would have done that for a living.
37. I always use a napkin when I eat, even if it is just cold cereal. And I always use an apron when I cook. I guess I’m messy.
38. I used to be deathly afraid of heights. I got “stuck” on a staircase at the top of a hike (Devil’s Head in Colorado). I had to sit down in the middle of the stairs and was laughing hysterically at how scared I was. I finally crawled the rest of the way up with the help of my nieces. But last time I rode in a glass elevator in a very tall building, I wasn't scared at all. I don’t know if it is because I fly so much now and am used to being high up, or if it is because I’m not afraid to die now.
39. I get queasy at the site of blood. I had a student with a bloody nose once and I almost passed out. The other students had to help him (and me.)
40. I would love to be a “stay-at-home mom” but will probably never be able to completely give up my job and my flight benefits. I would soooo be a little “Holly Homemaker!” (But for now I’ll work on getting a date, a boyfriend, a husband, and *then* I’ll worry about being a mom—first things first, right?)
41. One of my all-time favorite groups is Erasure. I still love to listen to them and have all of their albums. (A side note on 80’s music, I will admit to liking Milli Vanilli, too, even if it wasn’t really them singing.)
42. I also love “oldies”—especially the Beatles and Dean Martin.
43. I am a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. My favorite team is the San Francisco Giants. I sat second row behind the plate, right next to their dugout once!
44. I hate watching the news. I think it is depressing. I look at headlines on the internet and read about things that interest me, but I really don’t want to know the details of most things.
45. I am a celebrity-gossip junkie, but I’m trying to quit. People always leave those magazines on planes and the flight attendants vie for them. I try to always give them away so I’m not tempted and don’t waste my time reading them.
46. I sprained both of my wrists (at the same time) while doing a senior project for my English class. I couldn’t play volleyball or the piano for almost a year.
47. I never had stitches (except for my wisdom teeth extraction) or a broken bone until I got in a car accident when I was 31.
48. I almost never watch T.V. In a year of staying in hotels, I think I have only turned the T.V. on in my room twice. It drives me crazy to have constant noise. My favorite show is The Office but I usually watch it online or on DVD.
49. Cotton is my favorite fabric. It is all I can sleep in. My sheets, blankets, and pajamas have to be 100% cotton. So do most of my clothes. I don’t like synthetic fabrics that don’t breathe because I feel like I’m wearing a plastic bag. And I like high thread count sheets. I’m kind of spoiled that way.
50. I didn’t get my first passport until I was 32. My first trip out of the country was a cruise to Bermuda with my family. Within a year, I had traveled to three continents.
Monday, March 9, 2009
50 Random Things About Me
Posted by Patti at 2:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That was really fun reading all about you. I feel like I know you so much better now!! ;) I wish I could fly as much as you do. I want to travel so badly, however it is a little hard with a wee little one.
Happy St. Patti's Day!
K
Depressing headlines, I know what you mean! And flight attendants all going in for the kill over the trashy magazines.. haha, yes! I try to avoid those, too! :)
How are you enjoying Atlanta so far!? Tell me tell me!
And I'm copying you and starting my own blog.. hopefully I can keep it updated! And this way I can officially be 'subscribed' to yours!
Hopefully I'll see you around soon!!
Wow, I read it all! I can't beleive you wrote all that! I also can only sleep in high thread count sheet. 600 or higher is preferable. Once you've tried them you can never go back!
Post a Comment